John Taylor Gatto & Noam Chomsky
ThePlatform.ie – Ireland’s Solutions Resource.
“The Six Purposes of Schooling” – John Taylor Gatto:
“Learning isn’t the reason the texts are distributed. How can you establish if someone has developed automatic deference to authority? By checking to see if they’ll follow stupid orders. Function one achieved.” John Tayor Gatto
The six purposes of schooling:
1. adjustive function – establish fixed habits of reaction to authority.
2. integrating (conformity) function – develop like-mindedness, unity in thoughts and habits.
3. directive function – label children to mark them in the class structure.
4. differentiating function – divide and conquer strategy to immobilize the social structure.
5. selective function – preservation of the ‘favored’ races – tag the unfit.
6. Propaedeutic function – grooming of those in higher classes to manage the lower classes.
Principles of Secondary Education Inglis, Alexander James, 1879-1924
Noam Chomsky – The Purpose of Education:
Noam Chomsky discusses the purpose of education, impact of technology, whether education should be perceived as a cost or an investment and the value of standardised assessment.